Network Engineer Role
In this role a Network Engineer will work on-site (most of the time) at Customers premises. The NE provides high quality customer engineering and operational support to the customer and works closely with customer operations, engineering and design groups and with Vendor Support Groups to ensure high levels of customer satisfaction.
- To assist the customer’s operations team with the preparation of router configurations and to validate configurations for new installations, changes within the network, software upgrades etc.
- To prepare and maintain technical documentation related to the vendor based router network
- To act pro-actively to solve problems within the network and to ensure that the network structure and behavior is sound
- To assist the customer’s Network Operations Centre teams to develop and maintain fault diagnosis procedures to support effective fault resolution
- To generate weekly reports to update the customer’s staff on outstanding issues
- To participate in network design exercises where a new design is likely to impact directly, or indirectly, upon the vendor routers
- To review and validate proposed network designs with peers at vendor if it is felt that any proposed design could have an adverse impact upon the vendors routers
- To assist with any network related testing to ensure that the vendor routers operate correctly and that the integrity of the customer’s network is not jeopardized
- To train the customer staff on vendors equipment and functionality in informal sessions or classes
- To troubleshoot network issues and open vendor cases
- To act as a liaison with vendors Customer Service and Engineering groups, and the Partner, as appropriate; providing feedback to customer accordingly
- To submit relevant problem reports and feature requests to the relevant groups within the vendor
- To provide advice on, and demonstrate if necessary, new software and hardware features
- To offer advice on industry trends and technologies where appropriate
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with key contacts
- Education to degree level preferred, with 5-6 years experience in a technical role, including 3 years spent supporting large IP networks
- Strong knowledge of the operation, design principles and troubleshooting of TCP/IP, IP Routing protocols: BGP, OSPF (and/or ISIS), MPLS, Multicast protocols: IGMP, PIM, Common Router Interfaces and Protocols: Ethernet, Fast Ethernet, Gigabit Ethernet, SONET/SDH, ATM, Frame Relay, PPP is essential.
- A working knowledge of Juniper products is desirable
- Concepts and/or working experience with: Network Management, UNIX, QoS.
- Effective consultancy, planning & communication skills, excellent inter-personal skills, ability to work on multiple projects and manage customers appropriately.
- Fluent written and spoken English
- Some international travel is a job requirement
- Relocation to the region where the customer is located is a requirement